>>Are you reading this? If so, drop a hello in the comments, please!<<
Our Random Wrap has a new name! Because this section is truly about what we’re all craving: Joy. Also, I was playing with the SEO Headline Analyzer, and as an English major and writer, that was way more fun for me than it should’ve been.
Timely Craving: Very Serious Food Holidays
- 9/9: National “I Love Food” Day: No deals that I saw, but I hope everyone celebrates!
- 9/12: National Chocolate Milkshake Day: Fast and casual eateries shot their load over Labor Day, so nearly nothing interesting to share here. But I could go for a chocolate malt now.
Locally Craving the 515: For My Desmoinians
I’m no longer using Instagram (directly), so I’m not seeing the same food stuff I usually do. This section will probably become intermittent especially because The Reg does a nice job with what’s going on over the weekends. As do Monica and Des Moines Girl.
That said . . .
- Fleur Cinema and Café is back this weekend!
- The Renaissance Faire is happening most of September’s weekends. I’ve never been to it at Sleepy Hollow, so I had no idea they had the food they do. If it’s any good, they’re a good alternative to The Fair that I’ll have to consider for next year.
- Either/Or is officially opening September 15th. They also put a cute mural on the side of their building, which I failed to get a pic of. But the food looks outstanding!
- I didn’t even know any of the Rosati’s were closed. So, that bodes well for them. hashbrown sarcasm
- We had the meal of the year at Milk and Honey, which is 90 minutes west of DSM in Harlan, Iowa. We’ve been many times, but their First Friday Steakhouse Dinner broke me with happiness. It was utter perfection with zero food poncery, as Mr. James May puts it . . . meaning it was comfort food through and through!
What I Was Craving This Week
- Pumpkin Dump Cake? This is happening.
- You Didn’t Even Try.
- This angle of Chicago Cub’s one-man hype machine Christopher Morel’s bat flip (32 second mark), which doesn’t seem like a bat flip when you see the angle that he simply flipped it over to the bat boy, but from this perspective, it’s damn magical.
- And yet, fuck tons of people still support this asshole.
- The name of this restaurant and the praise it gets for being one of Chicago’s best hot doggeries. It’s now in the top five of my must trys when we return to the city.
- The phrases “unsung batshittery” and “insurrectionist pinhead.“
- Baseball fans know how important a player’s slash line is. Well, sleep apnea users have their own version of a slash line. This is the best slash line I’ve ever had. AHI is apnea-hypopnea index, which is the number of times we stop breathing divided by how many hours of sleep we get. The ideal is to have an AHI of less than 5. Me having anything less than 3 has happened only 13 times in the last 90 days with 4 of those being the last 4 days. Why that happened is a post for another day.