>>Tell me what you’re craving! Drop it in the comments!<<
Timely Craving: Very Serious Food Holidays and News
- I never did see anything for today’s National Ice Cream Cone Day.
- Sometimes, food deals go wrong.
- 9/25: National Quesadilla Day
- 9/25 as well: National Food Service Workers Day
- This Monday, skip the nasty review, thank a food service worker, and don’t throw any fucking food at anyone. But don’t do that last one ever. Who does that?!
- Whole Damn Woman is closing permanently on October 1st.
- I love Halloween.
- Batman researcher quits, but not Batman researching? I’m so confused.
- I have nothing beyond that because my week included a concert, the worst fibromyalgia flare of my life, my car almost getting rear-ended and that incident causing other people to get into a car accident right behind me, the return of anxiety attacks, a fun mysterious issue with my power steering, an entirely sleepless night thanks to caffeine, and some pretty big epiphanies and inner work. I’d like to rest, thank you.
What I Was Craving This Week
- The Chicago Cubs not tanking their own chances for the playoffs.
- Reddit to be filled with fewer douchebags.
- All the friggin’ salt and red meat.
- Tacos. We’re going to a wedding tomorrow that has a taco bar. I’m excited, y’all. I mean, I’m excited for the wedding too, but TACO BAR.
Locally Craving the 515: For My Desmoinians
- Want some recipes from the chefs at Oak Park?
- There can never be enough Chocolaterie Stam.
- Zero details on this place other than they passed their pre-opening inspection.
- 30Hop in Ankeny is moving to a larger space and being replaced with itself, sorta. It has a “sister restaurant” called Tribute Eatery and Bar going into Prairie Trail.
- Does anyone else loathe going to Prairie Trail because of the constant crowds?
- I pass Basic Bird at least once a week, and they’ve made some progress on the parking lot (as in they paved it). But you can’t see inside unless you visit their socials. Which HOW CUTE IS THIS. If you don’t know, Basic Bird is Joe Tripp’s Korean fried chicken place. Tripp is the chef/owner at Harbinger and Little Brother, and he’s one of the best chefs in town, if not the best.
- If you don’t see me talk about a restaurant opening here, it’s less likely because I missed it and more likely because I don’t give a shit. I’ll just leave it at that.
Thai Flavors: Ingersoll, Des Moines, Iowa
After ordering delivery from Thai Flavors on Ingersoll a few times, we finally went in. I’d call it solidly good. The interior is perfectly my style, with blacks, whites, deep blues, and metallics. I watched an employee harvest mint from the flora out front. Our server was wonderfully polite and maybe a little too quiet but so very sweet.
I’ll admit I was ravenous, but the food absolutely hit the spot. They had deep-fried spring rolls, and FRIENDS, they weren’t mushy! Been a minute since I’ve had any kind of fried roll that wasn’t gross inside. I was boring and got brown rice with sweet basil. I added an extra egg and omitted bell peppers. It absolutely hit the spot for me. Hubster ordered sesame chicken, and the breading on that was perfection.
Sprockets, Des Moines, Iowa
A place called Sprockets filled the space Gusto Pizza left, and I’ve been curious about it for months. On a whim, I went in for a solo lunch today, and I learned things.
- It is Black-owned making it one of the few, if not the only Black-owned eatery on Ingersoll.
- They serve breakfast longer than most places (2 p.m. instead of 10:30 a.m.).
- They have some of their breakfast items all day.
- Their breakfast flatbread made me quite happy. No, I will not compare it to Casey’s.
And now? AWOLNATION.
I know these aren’t great pics, but maybe Aaron Bruno just IS blurry. Credit to the late Mitch Hedberg for that joke. Anyway, this is a band (and a man) I’d follow around the country had I the time and money.