Hey, 2024? Please shuffle the presidential campaign shitshows out of Des Moines ASAP. Thanks.
Welcome back to Foodie 515!
- If you’re on mobile, go to my home page and scroll to almost the bottom.
- Look for a gradient blue and purple button that says “subscribe.”
- Please put your email in that box and click “subscribe!”
Look for this, and please subscribe!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you opt to purchase something after clicking a link, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
And if you’re a Des Moines business with an affiliate program, let me know!
Des Moines Openings, Closings, and Such
🎆 Happy New Year, DSM! 🎉
- Wasabi is opening their Urbandale location soon. That makes five in the metro and one in Ames. A second Ames location is opening soon too.
- A food truck named Tacos Tijuana will likely hit the streets of DSM soon, if it isn’t out there already.
- I missed this one, but Rolling Smoke BBQue in Pleasant Hill closed permanently. Hubster and I went a couple of times, and it was good stuff.
- Fancy Breads closed permanently. Now, I’ll be honest; I’d heard of it, but I know nothing more than the name. So, visit that Reddit link for more information.
- Chain: Old Chicago in Ankeny closed. It was the last one in the metro, but there’s still one in Ames.
Recs! Recs! Recs!
- Do you know of a Des Moines area Black-owned food business? Comment below or email me with business names!
- Mayalu Coffee, my favorite coffeeshop in the metro, celebrates its first anniversary this month!
- Where do you want me to eat before you give it a try? Lemme know in the comments!
- National food deals: There’s a bunch of year-end deals that I didn’t see until today, so I couldn’t include them in Friday’s Food Fights and Frugal Finds.
- I’ve never had hot pot. Heavenly in Valley Junction has Hot Pot Nights Tuesday through Thursday. Who wants to go with me?
WTF, Des Moines?
- I’ve added Destination Grille and The Beerhouse to my list of places I, personally, do not patronize under my values-based consumerism approach to the economy. I’ll leave it at that.
- I, for one, will not be visiting the new for-profit, chain aquarium in WDM when it opens. Both Google Maps reviews and Reddit threads show me exactly what I feared would be the case with this zoo. I barely trust zoos in general. I was horrified to see the condition of the koi pond at our local zoo. I can’t imagine a chain zoo would be much better.