Previously, I put all Des Moines food news in with the national food deals and discounts I share on Fridays. But Des Moines is deserving of its own feature, so welcome to Foodie 515!
If you’re a Des Moines food lover, subscribe now and never miss these updates every Monday!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you opt to purchase something after clicking a link, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Openings, Closings, and Such
- Table 128 is coming back! Per the incredible Karla Walsh, the eatery is relocating to SW 9th and will open in February or March of 2024.
- Red Dragon Herbs and Teas opened their storefront recently. Go get yer tea fix!
- Twisted Bean just opened their third location. This one is in Ankeny.
- Former Des Moines Register restaurant reviewer and food guru, Wini Moranville, broke big news recently on her Substack. Homegrown Kitchen is opening a second DSM Metro location; this one will be in the same structure as Ruth’s Chris Steak House. Maybe it’ll have more parking.
- Moranville also mentioned the possibility of a place called Prime and Providence Restaurant on S. 60th in WDM. Not much news beyond that though. The only thing a Google search produces is her newsletter. Thank you, Wini, for sharing!
- Panka Peruvian Chicken is revamping to become Panka Coffee and More, which is definitely my style. I’m gonna try and get there before it snows.
Recs! Recs! Recs!
- If you’ve never visited Crème for Midnight Munchies, I highly recommend it. A lot of people don’t seem to know Crème is under new ownership, and it is much better than it has ever been. So, if you’re like, “Eh, Crème was OK,” go back. The new owner, Sammy, is one of the best people in this city. Plus, if you want to support a WoC-owned business, this is your chance.
- I enjoyed a mocktail at Pots and Shots last week for the first time, and it’s a good space! It was pretty loud, but that’s what Loop Earplugs are for. I’m looking forward to trying Pots and Shots flatbreads!
Not Des Moines Food: A Word of Thanks
Thank you to everyone who re-elected Soneeta for Johnston’s school board! She’s been beaming about it, and I know she’s ready to continue working for the kiddos!
Thank you to liberal/progressive Des Moines and ‘burbs for showing up! Moms for Liberty can take a seat.
But one of these days, we need to have a chat about city council, y’all.