Des Moines, what shape makes the best pizza slice? 🍕 Say rhombus. I dare you.
Welcome back to Foodie 515! This is a free feature from Seeta Lee, but if you want to support the work, you can always buy me a chai!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you opt to purchase something after clicking a link, I may receive a small commission or other reward at no additional cost to you. Go get you some cool shit! Thank you!
Have an affiliate program that’s Des Moines-based? Lemme know!
Des Moines Openings, Closings, and Such
- Coming Soon
- Bits and Bobs
- Di’jammin Grill has a food trailer now.
- Chef’s Edge now operates at Mickle Center.
- Hurts Donut Co. will have pączki for Fat Tuesday (13th).
- Food Trucks of Des Moines is a super useful FB group. I had no idea these trucks existed:
Recs! Recs! Recs!
- If you don’t know about the Road Tips blog, I recommend it. The guy has been blogging since October 2005. He’s one of the OG food writers, as far as I’m concerned. Now, I have no idea who he is. He could be my mortal enemy, for all I know. And I’d probably still be checking out the blog.
- Do I have a mortal enemy? Yes. It’s called gravity.
- If you’re looking for food trucks, Food Trucks DSM is your best resource.
- I mentioned Roots 95, and I need to talk about Flame the Cantina again. I love it. It feels weird to be excited about Mexican food at a shiny eatery in Ankeny, but damn, y’all. We ate there again last night, as it has become a part of our regular rotation. They have mocktails that make me happy. We both stepped out of our norm and ordered salads. I got the Mexican chopped salad, and he got a taco salad. They were spot-on good. That place never disappoints!
WTF, Des Moines?
- If it seems like my enthusiasm is gone this week, then you’d be right. I’m unable to cope with the Iowa State Legislature right now. Uncommon Goods has a spoon rest in the shape of Iowa, and it’s blue. I yearned for a blue state, y’all. Via spoon rest. Please help me.
Who has the best pizza in Iowa? Well, Iowa Starting Line’s Nikoel Hytrek wrote a piece covering what the publication’s audience said about that question. What do you think of their take?
Even if I didn’t have values-based issues with Gusto, I do not agree that it’s some of the best pizza in the area. It was a novelty at first, and I enjoyed it, but my last time, it was meh.
Hm, maybe it’s time for a pizza playoff? Until then, argue below about what shape makes the best pizza slice.