Timely Craving: Very Serious Food Holidays and News
- 10/27: National Breadstick Day
- Though my normal source doesn’t list the 27th as National Breadstick Day, Fazoli’s is celebrating by giving away six breadsticks. There’s also an online code.
- 10/28: National Chocolate Day
- The Today Show provides a handful of online codes for chocolate shopping!
- Heads up: Friday, November 3rd is National Sandwich Day! I’m already seeing deals, so be sure to pop in next week before you head to lunch.
ICYMI and Other Cravings: Cozy up with chai and donuts . . . and books!
- My friend and acupuncturist, Kate, at Fireweed Acupuncture just launched her shop. Please check it out!
- Halloween is in five days, which likely means discounts on the best decorations ever.
- I’m reading Denise Williams’ The Fastest Way to Fall, and I don’t think I’ve enjoyed a book this much in a long time. I also have a shit ton in common with the main female character. I love a fat romance protagonist!*
- Please support The Appalachian Retreat and Spa’s Indiegogo! I want to take, like, all of you there when it opens!
Locally Craving the 515: For My Desmoinians
- I wrote a piece for DSM Girl about a local guide to fall drinks! This was a blast to write, and there’s bonus content here! Using my pumpkin spicey sense for good, yo.
- Nadia’s French Bakery is opening a storefront in the old Jimmy John’s on Grand, and this is me doing a happy dance! The food scene along The Avenues (which I cannot say with a straight face) is the best thing to happen in this city in decades.
- Something called Tuddy’s Tavern is opening in West Des Moines.
- Pico de Gallo in Johnston and The Pepe’s in Des Moines are opening soon, but I can’t find much on either.
- Taco Casa is under new ownership. I drove by the other day and saw new picnic tables outside and a full parking lot. Clearly, it was missed. It’s not a bad little spot, honestly.
- Donutland in Urbandale passed their inspection, so expect them to open very soon. I am always here for more donuts.
- Baskin-Robbins in Ankeny is now open. I am also always here for mint chocolate chip from BR.
- I finally tried Mayalu Coffee, and I’m definitely a fan of their chai! Plus, they have ChuChu Donuts. They have a drive-thru, so that’s probably gonna be my new haunt. Sorry, Scooter’s.
Not a Craving: Why chai and donuts?
I’d always close Whole Damn Woman’s newsletters with “Chai and Donuts,” but it didn’t hit me until I was editing the Mayalu photo that I’d ordered precisely that. I love chai, and I love donuts, so “Chai and Donuts” is my way of sending you love.
So, for this week, chai and donuts,
* denotes affiliate link, which means if you purchase something from that link, I earn a small percentage of the sale.